May 01, 2013

I Am Number 29

The clock strikes twelve and I am 29.  Well, if I want to be REALLY accurate, I'll officially age at around 5 o'clock or so in the morning.  But as far as birthdays go, now is an acceptable time for me to increment my age. 

29. Twenty-nine. Veint y nueve anos. Dios mio.

I'll have the entire year to mope at my sad, sorry state of having one year left to savor my being in the twenties, so enough about that.

As far as quarter-life crisis goes, I should be well over that phase, now that I'm actually past that mark by, say, a good four years or so.  True, I still live with my parents, I don't have my own car, I don't earn six digits a month, I'm still quite far from having my first million worth of savings, I'm far from being  married (or engaged) and I don't own an iPod, iPhone, or any Mac product for that matter.  But now that I'm about to be a year older again, and another step closer to the big three-O, I guess it's high time to stop regretting and holding on to those hang-ups, and start feeling good about life, and everything that has brought me here.

So what better way to start appreciating life, than counting your blessings?  Let's do 29:
  1. I still sleep on a nice, comfy, and warm bed that I don't want to get out of every morning.
  2. I live in a house with cable, internet, and three malls within a 30-minute radius.
  3. The village I live in has the best isaw... well, next to the orange isaw at UP.
  4. I have two alternatives to commuting; one actually stops one block away from my street, during the ride home.
  5. We have Sereni-days in the office!
  6. Despite the hectic workload, I am still able to take leaves if I want to. Or even work from home, if necessary.
  7. I am able to travel for leisure.  I have been to Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.
  8. I have been to Korea...
  9. ...and I am going to Japan!
  10. I have seen snow, and even fell on my butt on it.  Ouchies.
  11. I have experienced snowfall.
  12. I will experience spring and cherry blossoms (hopefully.  Climate, be good).
  13. Both of my parents are still alive, and in relatively good health.
  14. I have a loving boyfriend...
  15. ...who bought me my first DSLR.
  16. I was able to sport red hair.
  17. I survived getting a tattoo.
  18. I am still close friends with my best friends since the fifth grade.
  19. I am still able to see, hear, smell, taste, and feel.
  20. I am able to play Blue Mind on the piano.
  21. I was able to experience Grade 8 Wagyu steak.
  22. I have seen the Mt. Pinatubo crater lake, both in brown and turquoise blue, AND was able to camp overnight at the crater mismo.
  23. I was able to watch Incubus, Eraserheads, Paramore, U-KISS, Rain, AND Super Junior at the VIP (or close to) area.
  24. I've never experienced holdap, even though I'm an extensive commuter.
  25. I'm relatively healthy, despite my lack of exercise or proper diet.
  26. I still get gifts on Christmas.
  27. My dogs are survivors!  They are able to overcome sickness even when they got hospitalized.
  28. My waistline is still 25.
  29. People still TEXT me on my birthday.  Take that, Facebook.
Come to think of it, everything that matters to me is in my list.  I should be happy to be blessed this way  Sure, there are a lot of things that I would like to experience, a lot more things that I would like to acquire.  But it's not as if I'm at the end of my life right now.  Surely I still have the rest of my life to experience or to acquire those things;  I'm never too old for anything new.

For now, I guess, the most that I can do is to appreciate my life as it is.  It's okay to be motivated to do something more with my life, but what is important is that I should realize that right now, everything is where it should be, and that no one has the right to pressure me to do anything different about it.  For this year, at least.  Being 30 is another matter entirely. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment