#SupportLokalPH: Activista

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Activista

Stylish, modern, and affordable fitness apparel made in the Philippines


This one I've discovered through Instagram, and is a fairly new business as they launched their online store just a couple of months ago.

By no means am I an athletic person, but certain factors (i.e. ageing) has led me to become more conscious of my health and overall body image. As I do not engage in sports, nor will I ever, I have no plans to invest in expensive and/or well-known brands for my athletic clothing. Fortunately, I came across Activista, and they primarily sell fitness apparel for a reasonable price.


Being fairly new to the online market, Activista's method of purchasing, payment, and delivery is still a bit crude. For one, you can only view their catalog through Facebook and Instagram photos. Should you need to inquire on the availability of the item, SMS or Viber are the ideal way to contact them. They use Google docs for their order form, and you would have to wait for them to contact you via email to confirm your order. Payment is made through bank deposit, which would need to be confirmed by a certain cut-off time for your order to make it to their scheduled deliveries (i.e. Wednesdays and Saturdays).


Needless to say, they are able to respond promptly for any inquiries and follow-ups, so I guess that makes up for their current method (for the time being).

For my first purchase I bought a cut-out tank, a camisole,
and a pair of leggings.

No, I will not post pictures of me wearing them;
my body isn't ready. ;-P

I use the cut-out tank in the gym.

I wasn't expecting the fabric of the cut-out tank to be that thin when I got my item.  Because of the nature of the fabric, the cut-out tank would ride up my skin when I make a lot of movement, say like, jogging on a treadmill. But it did absorb sweat while keeping me relatively dry, so I guess it is doing a decent job.


I haven't had the opportunity to use this camisole just yet.

As for the leggings, I've been using it on yoga. The fabric is stretchable and light enough to move with the poses I make, and the pattern is a smart way to conceal the thinness of the fabric.

What's nice about the pattern is that
it kinda slims down the appearance of your legs, too.

I enjoyed the leggings a lot, so I decided to buy all the designs. This way I don't need to reuse the same pair of leggings, should I attend multiple yoga sessions on the same week.

One area of concern though, is the stitching on the leggings. Because of all the stretching the leggings have to endure, the stitches seem to be looser now compared to what it looked like when I first received my order. But so far, I've not experienced any unraveling of the threads. When that happens, what would I expect? It is a 250 PhP pair of leggings, after all.

Left: Printed Blue Leggings
Right: Printed Pink Leggings

Apologies if the colors do not seem that way;
I blame VSCO Cam's HB1 filter.

For those interested, feel free to browse the links provided in this entry. And for those who already purchased their own Activista item, please post pictures in your reply. I'm curious as to which items have captured your fancy.

Comments