September 28, 2015

#SupportLokalPH: Common Room

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Common Room

Arts & Crafts Supply Store | A place where makers gather

(Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CommonRoomPH)

I've always wanted to check out this store ever since it announced their launching over Facebook and Instagram, just a few months ago. Most of the local makers I've been following in social media sell their stuff there; having a physical store where I can look at merchandise would definitely help me decide whether or not to buy an item made by an independent local brand.


Common Room is located near universities, so it is understandable that the merchandise caters for the kolehiyala market. Notebooks, gadget holders, tote bags, and dorm decorations are the usual type of items being sold there.

I was looking for a particular leather bag from a maker I'm currently following, but I was not able to find it in the Common Room. Needless to say, my husband and I were able find a couple of items worth buying.

Tweed & Twine


Most of the items being sold are handmade pouch bags and gadget holders.  They mix fabric with leather details to produce a rustic feel to their items.


Since my current cellphone pouch looks a little worse for wear, I decided that it was time to buy a replacement. Good thing I was able to find this one and my cellphone fits perfectly in it!

What can I say? I'm into leather details nowadays.

Since they have an online store, you should be able to purchase their items without having to go to Common Room.

Takatak Project


The makers behind Takatak Project create papier-mâché decorations; they must be hardcore arts and crafts enthusiasts.

Our purchase was rather random, actually. That time, Common Room had a Takatak Project apple green horse on display.  The color of the horse matches the theme of our condominium unit, and since the item was priced decently, we decided to buy it.



Some of the makers affiliated to Common Room already have established online stores, so I suggest verifying the prices online first. Chances are, the prices in Common Room are already marked up. Verifying the prices online will at least present different purchase options.

Common Room also hosts various arts and crafts workshop to those interested in gaining or honing skills for future or current hobbies. You may check out their workshop schedules in their social media accounts.

And for those who are interested to check out Common Room, I've provided the Google Map information below. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment