#SupportLokalPH: Donardo's Chili Garlic Sauce

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Donardo's Chili Garlic Sauce

Anghang Sarap!

(Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Donardos-Chili-Garlic-Sauce/362127374159)

I've been a fan of Germano's Chilli ever since an office mate recommended it to me, but I'm always on the lookout for new local brands to try. I discovered this gem while grocery shopping in Puregold Jr. (Pioneer branch)--ironically, during that time I was buying some Germano's Chilli for said office mate. Wouldn't hurt to try another brand for myself, though.

Donardo's Chili Garlic Sauce uses soy oil, compared to
the olive oil/ corn oil used by Germano's Chilli.

This one's less expensive, too.


I've observed that this sauce has a consistency similar to the commercial chili garlic sauces being used in various siomai kiosks (Master Siomai, Siomai House, etc). Unlike Germano's Chilli that has a bit of a crunch due to the crispy garlic bits, Donardo's Chili Garlic Sauce has a softer, mushier consistency akin to bagoong. The taste is saltier than Germano's Chilli, too.

Consistency more similar to the commercial brands,
compared to the crispy consistency of Germano's Chilli.

If I had to pick between the two... I'd pick both (hahaha safe answer)!  I love chili garlic sauces, and if I had the freedom, I would use them in all the dishes I make.

Germano's Chilli and Donrado's Chili Garlic Sauce are rightly distinct from each other, so much so that each sauce is a perfect match with different dishes. Germano's Chilli with its crispy garlic bits is perfect for dim sum and other dishes that use soy sauce-based condiments. On the other hand, Donrado's Chili Garlic Sauce works well as condiment to vegetables side dishes, noodles, and other dishes where you would like a kick of spiciness. Being on the saltier side, Donrado's Chili Garlic Sauce works well on its own. I reckon you may use it for cooking, too.

For those interested, below is a list of stores that carry Donardo's Chili Garlic Sauce:

  • Landmark Supermarket - Makati and Trinoma
  • Puregold Price Club - All braches
  • Shopwise Supermarket- All branches
  • Rustans Supermarket
  • Parco Supermarket - All branches
  • CVC Supermarket
  • Market Market Supermarket
  • Metro Gaisano
  • Tropical Hut Foodmart - All branches
  • Pioneer Centre Supermarket


Comments

  1. Wow! I love their sauce too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! must try this one! my auntie gave us one bottle last christmas! dont know where it went. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried this one and it is a must try. Compared to imported one this chili garlic really rock it's not that hot yet rich in flavor. Can't eat without it. My friends also craves this its a great gift too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment