September 17, 2015

#SupportLokalPH: Exonomad

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Exonomad

Durable Carry Solutions


I'm really excited with today's featured product, because I've been planning to acquire one since June. I first found about Exonomad from the Instagram picture posted by Alunsina Handbound Books. The post led me to Exonomad's Instagram page, and I instantly fell in love with the design of one of their bags, wherein they used Sagada fabric.


A photo posted by mark jordan (@exo_nomad) on

Exonomad specializes in creating backpacks suited for outdoor recreation. They also create accessories for cycling, hiking, and everyday carry (i.e. cellphone holder, pouch bag, gadget kit, etc). They are also open to accept requests for additional pockets, straps, or other configuration that you would like to add on your Exonomad bag.

I first emailed Exonomad to inquire on the availability of the Sagada fabric as I want it to be used for my backpack. Fortunately, there are Sagada fabrics available, so I proceeded to discuss the specifications of my backpack.

Back view


My initial questions to Exonomad (and their answers) were:
- What is the standard dimensions of your backpack? Say, the rolltop ones.
Exonomad: Base body is around 17" height (+13" rolltop) x 10 wide at base (13" wide on top) x 5.5" deep.

We have a larger size about 20" height (+ 15" rolltop) x 12" wide at base (15" wide  on top) x 6" deep.

There is an option to put side pockets as well equivalent to .5 liters each (tripouch configuration).

You may designate your choice of color combination.

- How much can they carry? In liters and/or kilos.
Exonomad: 17+ liters expandable main compartment, .75 liter front pocket.

For the larger size: 21+ liters expandable main comp, 1 liter front pocket.

- Are they resistant to elements? If so, which ones?
Exonomad: Material is nylon cordura (durable wheatherproof, abrasion resitstant nylon fabric) sewn with military grade nylon thread.


- How long is the delivery period after making the full payment?
Exonomad: 3-4 sewing days once item is paid thru BPI bank deposit.

Front view (Rolltop in a flap position)

I chose the large rolltop with side pocket configuration (on both sides), using the lavender Sagada fabric. To give an idea, the quotation for this order was 3,000 PhP + 150 delivery fee.

Front view (Rolltop raised to reveal front compartment)

Initially, they were planning to use their affiliated express bike courier delivery (Mensahero's), but opted to use JRS Express instead (probably because of the intermittent rainy weather).  Also, there were a few delays in production due for unforeseen circumstances (sickness, machine breaking down), so I was able to receive my backpack more than a week after their committed date. I didn't mind this, as I am satisfied with how my bag turned out.


In use (side compartments still secured)

I am initially planning to use this bag for my upcoming travel to Japan, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the bag I got also has a padded laptop pocket in the main compartment. So for the time being, I think I will use this as my everyday commute-to-office bag as well.

Maybe because of the delay, I got a freebie pouch made with the same Sagada fabric. Yehey!

Front view of free pouch

For now, I'll be using the pouch to store the "loose bits" lying in my bag like my keys, coin purse, lip balm, hand sanitizer, etc. This is so I am able to quickly retrieve these items without having to halukay my bag that much.

Back view of free pouch

Exonomad has just emailed me proper care tips to remember. Allow me to share the following tips:

  • When washing the backpack, use any mild detergent, just don't soak it too long.
  • Do not use fabric conditioner!!!
  • Air drying is sufficient; do not dry in sun directly for longer period of time after washing.
  • Always air dry after a day use when subjected to high moisture (sweat for example) to avoid odor accumulation.

For those interested, feel free to browse the links provided in this entry. And for those who already purchased their own Exonomad item, please post pictures in your reply. I'm curious as to which items have captured your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment