#SupportLokalPH: Perfect Mushrooms | Kabutehan

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Perfect Mushrooms

Training and Seminars | Fruiting bags | Growing technical support | Fresh Gourmet Mushrooms | Grower's Kit Mushroom Chili Sauce™

(Official Website: http://perpektongkabute.com/)



I've always been a fan of mushrooms. And recently, I've been a fan of chili (read this and/or this) as well. So when an officemate of mine shared a recent discovery of chili mushrooms, I was quick to inquire and order a few for myself.

Perfect Mushrooms' main goal is to educate enterprising individuals on how to grow their own mushroom farm, encouraging sustainability and the entrepreneurial spirit. They regularly hold mushroom farming workshops and sell mushroom starter packs for those who are interested.

Personally, I do not care for growing or selling mushrooms, but when I read that they have their own mushroom products to sell, I immediately became interested. 

This Christmas, Perfect Mushroom partnered with Kabutehan
to create a special Christmas Package worth 450 PhP (for both bottles)

Kabutehan's Spicy Adobo Mushrooms, as well as Perfect Mushroom's Mushroom Chili Sauce are both made from oyster mushrooms. For now, they only sell oyster mushrooms, since this is the mushroom variety being used in their workshops and growing kits.

Kabutehan's Spicy Adobo Mushroom

Oyster mushrooms pickled in soy sauce, vinegar and garlic

For me, Kabutehan's Spicy Adobo Mushrooms can be used as both ulam and side dish. The oyster mushrooms' meat are filling enough to be partnered with rice alone, or with a protein of your choice.

However, I found the taste to be a bit too sour for my liking. I was expecting a more garlic-y, umami (due to the soy sauce) taste, but what I got was a taste profile closer to atchara. Well, the bottle did say that it was pickled. Maybe I got confused because of the "adobo" description.

Perfect Mushrooms' Mushroom Chili Sauce

Aside from oyster mushrooms, I think there is a little bit of shiitake in there.

Perfect Mushrooms' Mushroom Chili Sauce packs a LOT of punch. Maybe it is because of the mushroom's ability to absorb the flavor of the other ingredients used with it, but I remember experiencing a lot more spiciness than expected. I like spicy food, so I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot.

My only comment is that the portions of the mushroom is a bit too large for a chili sauce. I can't imagine accompanying this with dim sum, as the oyster mushroom will easily engulf it. If they are able to chop the mushrooms into finer pieces, that would be great.

Perfect Mushrooms are currently selling their products at The Organic Market. Consider trying out their chili oil, as part of the experience of exploring new stuff for the new year.

** The Organic Market is a weekend (Sunday) market at Burgos Park, Forbestown Road. Their upcoming dates are: January 10, 17, 24 and 31 from 8am to 8pm.

Comments