#SupportLokalPH: Costal Bags

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Costal Bags

Everyday Leather Bags



A new leather bag to add in my collection, yay!

I've been eyeing this shop for quite some time now; this was actually my original "second choice" bag while saving up for Bags by Rubbertree. But then KiN Leather Collection was having a bag sale that time, so I decided to push aside my plans for purchasing a Costal Bags leather bag in order to finance my sale purchase.

Now that the holidays are over, I was able to ponder on my outstanding personal wishlist. Guess what? This one tops the list.



Costal Bags have three staple designs: Madison, Harper and Brooklyn (prices upon request, but for transparency I got the Madison for 3,200 PhP + 80 PhP delivery fee).  Madison is an everyday slouchy tote bag, Harper is a structured cross-body bag, while Brooklyn is an expandable tote bag. If I were to rank the bags according to size, I think it would be: Harper < Madison < Brooklyn.

#noFilter. This is the closest-to-true-color image that my camera is able to capture.

Even though I've already acquired quite a number of leather bags from independent Filipino makers, I've yet to purchase a basic black leather bag. One that you can use in the office or on weekends; one that can give you a classic look without looking too dressed up. This is why for this purchase, I chose to buy a black Madison.

The Madison comes with one inner pocket with zipper, magnetic closure,
and versatile hook (use as you fancy)

What I like the most about this bag is the quality of the leather. Everything is so soft and slouchy; it makes me worry a bit if this bag can indeed handle the stress of over-packing. I really need to learn how not to pack as if maglalayas ako.

The inside of the Madison is unlined. This showcases the leather quality
and contributes to the bag's lightness despite its leather being full-grained.

I also like the look of the texture of the leather itself, and how it really matches with the blackness of the bag. It almost looks like a bag-sized wallet! The bag changes color with the light, too. Sometimes it looks midnight blue, other times it looks dark brown. But its natural color is indeed black. I just hope that the color doesn't transfer to other fabrics.

The base of the Madison is installed with a foam base shaper, to hold it's shape
while you overload it with girly stuff.

Incidentally, this is my first leather bag with a zipper and a visible magnetic closure. This makes the bag more secure compared to KiN Leather's open tote, but hands down Bags by Rubbertree has the most secure closure mechanism (rolltop bags FTW). I have no complaints for this bag, though. All in all, I say this bag is indeed a perfect everyday bag.

My Madison, packed with my everyday essentials.
Notice how soft and slouchy this bag is!

As far as I know, their Instagram account is the only place in the Web where you can view their catalog. They currently don't have an online store, and they do their transactions via Instagram DM, SMS, or Viber. After agreeing on the item of purchase, they will send an order confirmation form which also includes payment detail. For now, they only accept bank deposit as payment.

For those interested, feel free to browse the links provided in this entry. And for those who already purchased their own Costal Bag item, please post pictures in your reply. I'm curious as to which items have captured your fancy.

Comments