#SupportLokalPH: Little Black Box

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Little Black Box

The Premier Jewelry Subscription Box Service In The Philippines

(Website: https://wearlbb.com/)

A few years back, there was a boom of subscription boxes here in the Philippines. First, it started with beauty items (i.e. BDJBox, Glamourbox, etc), then came diet meal plans (I'm only familiar with The Sexy Chef). I was able to try the former, but eventually stopped subscribing because my vanity table was overrun with samplers that I never got to use.

Then recently, as I was browsing through Instagram for the latest trends in accessories (currently, I'm into dainty jewelry so much that I've hoarded a LOT of them during my past trip to Japan), I came across @wearLbb.


As far as I know, Little Black Box (LBB) is the first (and only, I think) jewelry subscription box in our country. There are four subscription options available for LBB: a one-time subscription (1,650 PhP), a three-month subscription (1,350 x 3 PhP), a six-month subscription (1,200 x 6 PhP), and a twelve-month subscription (950 x 12 PhP). As per Wholesale Principle, the per-month price is less expensive if you subscribe to a longer period of time.

The deciding factor for me is that LBB benefits two non-profit organizations: Habitat for Humanity PH and Mano Amiga Pilipinas. Proceeds from subscription sales are donated to these organizations, which means that you get to (indirectly) assist a family looking for a decent home, or help provide decent education to a child. Charity work through fashion; saan ka pa?

Little Black Box, quite literally.

This month was my first month of receiving a LBB. Naturally, I was excited to see what's in store for me. LBB's Instagram feed showcased a lot of pretty pendants, and each box was curated with the intention of having each piece complement each other though layering.



Unboxing... drum roll, please.
This is what I got in the box: two gold chains--the shorter one is about 22" with two pendants--a textured flat disc and a textured flat bar; the longer chain measures about navel-length--34" perhaps?--with a clear resin pendulum pendant.

I was expecting three chains, but they only provided two (there are two pendants on the shorter chain, though).

Since most of the trendy jewelry pieces I'm seeing as of late are on the dainty side, I was expecting the same style in my LBB. However, it seemed that the pieces I got were on the bold side--none of the pendants are sized smaller than a piso.

Pendant sizes compared to a one Peso coin.

First impression? Honestly, kind of meh. In pictures, I admit that they look pretty and intricate, but when I received my jewelry pieces I felt that I didn't get what I paid for. I don't know how much of their profits go to charity, but if you estimate each necklace to be worth 300 PhP, somehow it just doesn't feel like it.

I don't know how many are subscribed to LBB, but judging from the box I got, it's either they only have a handful of subscribers that they don't have the funds to purchase more elegant-looking materials, or they have too many subscribers that they don't have the time to make quality pieces for all each month. Regardless, I'm still supporting a good cause, right? Maybe next month will be better.

Despite my underwhelming first box, I still recommend trying out LBB at least once. Not even for the experience--think about the charity! And supporting the small local enterprise! If by next month I still get a tacky selection, hopefully these curators are amenable enough to consider upping their game.

And they should. Bayad na ako sa buong subscription period, eh.




For the rest of my LBB boxes, check out:

Comments