August 30, 2016

How to Use Liese Creamy Bubble Color

I'm not much of a DIY Hair Improvement kind of girl, as I am extremely low-maintenance when it comes to my hair. I barely know how to self-braid, and my past attempts to cut my bangs often end up in failure. Thus, plans to cut or color my hair are always executed in the salon.

Alas, boredom can make you do things you don't normally do, like attempting to dye your own hair. Earlier today, I tried out Liese Creamy Bubble Color, a Japanese brand I bought yesterday at The Landmark Makati.

I also bought a salon cape just in case things get messy.

Salon Cape - 49.75 PhP
Liese Creamy Bubble Color in Marshmallow Brown - 449.00 PhP

Since at-home hair coloring is WAY cheaper than the salon alternative, I decided to have a go at this experience. How did I do, you ask? Read on.

Step 1: Doing My Research


There are many other brands to choose from, but I picked this one for the following reasons:
  • Liese is an Asian brand, so the product's formula should be hiyang for the Asian hair
  • More specifically--Japanese brands, by reputation, make high-quality products
  • Supposedly, foam-type formulations ensure that the hair is colored evenly

I chose the color Marshmallow Brown, because I wanted to try out a brown shade that has little or no red, and isn't too light or too dark. Liese's website has a Personal Color Diagnosis Section where shades are chosen for you based on your features and your skin tone. I took the test and got a "Kiwifruit Type," and one of the featured shades was the Marshmallow Brown. Match!


Also, Liese's website provides How-To images and videos that show step-by-step application of the hair coloring product:


Step 2: Prepping My Hair


For documentation purposes, I took a few pictures of the state of my hair pre-coloring. I used natural light to get the closest to true color photos; any other discrepancies were caused by the camera's auto-correct functionality:

Top View: Around half a year's amount of regrown + sporadic white hairs

As per instructions, the hair should be dry and tangle-free. 

Root growth near the hairline. Ugh I even have white hair over there.

Root growth at the side.

I'm also at the process of growing out my hair, so I figured that coloring my hair at home will lessen the risk of being convinced by my stylist to have my hair cut each time I visit the salon.

Did I already mention that this way is less expensive, too?

Current hair color. Pretty similar to Marshmallow Brown, actually.

Step 3: Prepping The Solution


The box came with the following items:
  • Solution 1, which I think is the hair color
  • Solution 2, which I think is the developer (or vice versa, I don't know)
  • Foam dispensing cap
  • Hand gloves
  • Rinse-off treatment

Instructions come in English

A cardboard for the patch test is also provided, wherein you have to do one 48 hours prior to coloring your hair. I skipped that part, as I felt that the formula will be no different from the ones I've used in the salon. But for first-time users, a patch test is highly recommended to know if your skin can handle the chemicals.

Mixing the solutions is pretty easy; pour Solution 1 into Solution 2, use the white cap to secure the Solution 2 bottle and tilt it five times to mix the solutions, and replace the withe cap with the foam dispensing cap. Mixing the solutions should be done as delicately as possible as not to create foams inside the Solution 2 bottle.

After pouring Solution 1 to Solution 2, you will start to smell the scent of ammonia

I wasn't careful enough in handling the Solution 2 bottle; after mixing the solutions foam started to build up. Next time, I should be aware of this.

This is what you should AVOID!!!

A view of  the inside of the bottle

After replacing the white cap with the foam dispensing cap, I put on the cape I bought and the gloves (like a MOFO superhero), and started applying the foam to my hair.

In retrospect, I should've bought a poncho-type cover instead of a cape, but what's done is done.

I'm quite surprised by the quality of the gloves as they are thicker than expected

Step 4: Applying The Solution Mix 


As per instructions, I had to keep the bottle upright when squeezing, in order to dispense the best quality foam from the bottle.  I also had to put a generous amount of foam onto the hair to ensure even distribution of the color.

The ideal consistency of the foam is mousse-like and not runny.

After applying an ample amount of foam to the hair, gently work the foam into the roots by massaging the foam into a creamy consistency. The the foam should be thick and creamy enough to shape the hair into a ball on top of your head, without the product running into the sides of your face.

QUICK TIP: Prior to applying the foam to the hair, apply a layer of petroleum jelly to the hairline to prevent the dye from staining your skin.

Application is rather easy, because of the consistency of the foam

A view from the back. I think I was able to cover my hair pretty nicely

A bottle should be enough for up to shoulder-length hair. Since my hair is shorter, I was only able to use 3/4 as much. I wanted to use up the bottle, but towards the end there were no more places to put the foam.

Leftovers. Applying the foam wasn't as messy as I expected it to be

Step 5: Waiting For The Foam To Do Its Magic


Waiting time varies from 20 to 30 minutes--longer if hair is coarser and/or thicker.

By the 20-ish minute mark, I noticed that the foam is starting to get darker

I decided to wait a little bit longer, to make sure that my hair is absorbing the color more intensely.  Despite the ammonia scent, there was no burning sensation on my scalp during the wait.

Dye starts to run by the 30-ish minute mark

As per instructions, if the foam starts to thin and if the dye starts to run, you just need to massage the foam once more in order to work it into a lather.

Brownish stains on my hairline; foam is visibly darker, too

I think, my total waiting time was about 40 minutes. By then, the foam was getting really dark and I was afraid that it might stain the sink so I decided to finally wash it off.

Step 6: Rinsing Off The Foam, Et voilà!


My first rinse of the product was done in the sink, for fear of staining the bathroom tiles. I was pleasantly surprised that my hair was actually soft during that rinse; its consistency was something similar to post-conditioner softness.

After shampooing my hair two times, I proceeded with applying the rinse-off treatment.

Note to self: Must research on the Essential brand of hair products

Rinsing off was probably the messiest part in this whole experience as I had a difficult time wetting my hair without wetting the other parts of my body. I eventually gave up and just did a complete ligo together with applying the rinse-off treatment.

Wet hair; roots visibly covered

As I will be spending most of my day at home, I did not bother styling my hair. I just waited for it to air dry before taking the "after" shots.

Roots covered, white hair not covered (as per disclaimer written on the box)

Liese has a different line specifically for covering gray/white hair, which is unfortunately not available in the Philippines. Nevertheless, I am happy with how my hair was colored by this product, so I'll be keeping an eye out for their Blauné variant the next time I travel to Japan.

Retouching of color at the hairline

Marshmallow Brown seems to be a perfect match to my previous hair color, so I can see myself doing retouches on my own after three months or so.

New hair color in natural light

Expectation vs. Reality is close enough. Good job, Liese!

Other observations


  • The dye stained the collar of the shirt I was wearing. Buti na lang pantulog 'yung suot ko.
  • The dye did not stain the sink, nor did it stain the bathroom tiles. Hopefully the Blauné line is non-staining as well.
  • Even if the dye did not cover my white hair, the shade of Marshmallow Brown was light enough to complement them.
  • After-rinse hair smell is not smelly at all.

6 comments:

  1. Try mo yung sa Etude House next time. It doesn't stain anything, plus it covered my white hair pretty well. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Yun 'yung first choice ko, kaso konti 'yung range ng browns niya eh. :(

      Delete
  2. Hi, after you wash it out with shampoo, and then using the rinse-off treatment, do we have to leave it on or do we have to wash out the rinse-off treatment as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Apologies--just noticed your question now. You'd have to wash off the rinse-off treatment as well; it's more of a post-color conditioner. :)

      Delete
  3. hi! i didn't read instructions (stupid of me :( ) and because im used to dying my hair wet, i dyed my hair when it was wet while using this. what do you suppose will happen?? D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the late reply! i'm not sure--maybe the dye won't stick that well to the hair? may i know what was the result?

      Delete