April 07, 2017

#SupportLokalPH: Galileo Enoteca Deli

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Galileo Enoteca Deli

Authentic Italian Restaurant

(Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Galileoenoteca/)

This is my first time writing about an establishment for my #SupportLokalPH series, as I feel that supporting local brands should not be limited to buying local products. Granted that this establishment isn't exactly selling "Pinoy" products, the fact that this isn't a franchise from a foreign brand should be enough to be considered as local.


I stumbled upon this restaurant when I was looking for local sources of Guanciale, a type of Italian bacon. Guanciale is one of the ingredients of authentic carbonara (i.e. no cream), a recipe I learned in YouTube. Being a type of processed meat, I expected to find the bacon in the usual delis here in the metro such as Säntis, Earle's, or even in upscale groceries like Rustan's Fresh, but alas, to no avail.

A post shared by Miriam P. See (@ako_si_iam) on

Guanciale - 166.30 PhP per 100 grams


It was through the comments section of Market Manila (in a post dated 2006!!!) that I found out that Galileo Enoteca Deli is one of the few establishments that sell this elusive bacon.

 


I was pleasantly surprised to discover how close this restaurant is, from our place of residence. It's virtually at the other side of EDSA; I can even walk from the condo to the restaurant whenever I need to replenish my stash of guanciale. Note though, that Galileo Enoteca Deli sells guanciale in limited quantities because they also use it in their dishes.

The first thing I noticed going inside is the floor to ceiling shelving filled with wine bottles, which seem to be imported from various countries. Only now I learned that enoteca literally means "wine repository," which is actually fitting for the look of the place.

Prior to purchasing the bacon, we decided to have brunch in the restaurant.

Spaghetti Alla Carbonara (Rich, Classic Bacon and Egg Spaghetti) - 330 PhP

Their version of the carbonara is slightly different, with basil leaves incorporated into the sauce. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the light and creamy taste of the pasta, with no umay factor at all.

For dessert, we tried out the tiramisu. Because we were already impressed by the authenticity of the pasta, we were confident that their tiramisu would taste great as well.

And my goodness, it did.

Tiramisu - 220 PhP

 

The coffee-soaked ladyfingers complemented perfectly with the sweet cream, and the liqueur isn't too overpowering. It reminded me of black forest cake, which is one of my favorite cakes, but with a more sophisticated flavor. The serving is huge, too.

The price point of the menu items is quite high, I admit. This being said, I think that the restaurant is more suited for dates rather than family/ friend reunions. Nevertheless, I recommend trying out Galileo Enoteca Deli for a taste of authentic Italian food experience, with an equally authentic Italian wine repository atmosphere.

Galileo Enoteca

Address:

80 Calbayog cor. Malinao St.,
Highway Hills,
Mandaluyong City

Contact Numbers​:

+63.2.532.0482
+63.2.534.4633

Business Hours:

Monday to Sunday
11AM to 11PM



No comments:

Post a Comment