#SupportLokalPH: Human ❤ Nature

Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.

Human Nature

Pro-Philippines. Pro-Poor. Pro-Environment.

(Online Shop: https://humanheartnature.com/buy/)

I'm the type of person with an ever-changing facial care or makeup routine. Rarely do I stick to a particular product or brand, as I do not want my skin to become too dependent or hiyang on a product--I've experienced countless times liking a product so much, only to discover that the brand has reformulated or (worse) discontinued the product. I try my VERY best to finish a particular product before trying out another to avoid hoarding stuff and wasting money on products I end up not using.

Prior to trying out Human Nature's skin care line, I was into a couple of brands. For cleansing, I like Etude House, but lately I've been getting frustrated with how they market their cleansing oils; every few months they keep pulling out the product, forcing me to look for alternatives elsewhere. For skin care, I was using the Nuxe line for oily skin (Aroma Perfection), but the items (which I admit are quite  pricey) aren't always available in the Philippines, so I decided that it is time to look for cheaper alternatives.

My current Human Nature haul. I've also bought a couple of soap bars before, but they're all used up.

My first purchases from Human Nature are the Balancing Face Toner, Day Moisturizer, and Night Moisturizer, to replace the Nuxe stuff I have emptied. Since, like Nuxe, Human Nature is all-natural, so I figured out that my skin won't have to adjust that much to the change of brand.

My skin did calmly accept the brand (DISCLAIMER: My skin is far from perfect, as I suffer from hormonal acne; what I meant that is my skin didn't react harshly by breaking out more than it usually does), so I decided to try out more of their products.

To avoid blabbering on some more, allow me to categorize my current stash into products that worked for me and products that didn't quite impress me.

Human Nature Products That Worked For Me:

Among the bunch, these are the products I like the most.
  1. Balancing Facial Wash (418.86 for 200ml). This facial wash contains manila elemi and bamboo bits, for the purpose of oil control. I wasn't expecting this to be a foamy type cleanser (being clear and natural), but it totally is, which I like. The bamboo bits are great for gentle exfoliating, too.
  2. Balancing Face Toner (195.00* PhP for 200ml). This toner also contains manila elemi (whatever that is), but what I like about it the most is that it has no alcohol content i.e. no stinging sensation while applying.
  3. Acne Defense Gel (372.27 PhP for 20g). The active ingredient in this product is tea tree oil, but the formulation isn't oily at all. I find it very effective in quickly drying out my pimples, it even has a mild peeling effect on the skin.
  4. Day Moisturizer (418.86 Php for 50ml). A no-nonsense moisturizer for all skin types. I find it lightweight enough for my skin, and it doesn't give me any additional breakouts.
  5. Professional Salon Care Conditioner (372.27 PhP for 200ml). I was really impressed with this conditioner as it does soften your hair. It also has a yummy coconut scent. You can actually feel the difference between the texture of your hair before applying the conditioner, and before rinsing your hair three minutes later.
  6. RoseDew Mist (418.86 PhP for 50ml). I use this on hot and humid days, whenever I'm tempted to dunk my face in a bowl filled with ice-cold water. The spray is refreshing, though a bit stinging when it gets in your eyes. Does the job done in refreshing your face, nevertheless.

On the other hand...

Human Nature Products That I Kinda Regret Buying:

On the flipside, these are the products I would not repurchase.
  1. Gentle Cleansing Oil (465.45 PhP for 95ml). This is perhaps my biggest regret. I was expecting a consistency similar to the Korean brands' cleansing oil; one which emulsifies with water. However, it behaved like water-repelling mineral oil, and I had to remove it using wet wipes before following with facial wash. Not an efficient approach to double cleansing.
  2. Natural Body Butter (512.04 PhP for 200g). I wasn't impressed with this as this just felt like thick lotion. This product isn't easy to spread on the skin, and is more sticky than moisturizing.
  3. Deodorant Stick (325.67 PhP for 34g). This is my second biggest regret as applying this to the skin feels quite unpleasant, especially during hot and humid days. The oil content in the product quickly melts on contact with the skin, making the armpits a greasy mess. It also leaves huge white stains on the clothes.
  4. Night Moisturizer (418.86 Phap for 50ml). Nothing particularly bad about this product; it's more of a meh for me. I find no real difference with the Day Moisturizer, except maybe for the fragrance.
  5. Hair Conditioning Mist (250.00* PhP for 100ml). This leaves a bit of alcoholic residue on the hair, which makes the hair rather clumpy the next day.

With more hits than misses. I think Human Nature products are worth a try. The is no question on how natural these products are--you can immediately feel it as soon as you apply them--but perhaps this factor is a double-edged sword for them. On one hand, natural products are pure and eco-friendly, but on the other hand they tend to get used up more quickly (making you repurchase the product again which makes it more expensive in the long run), and when applied may lose it's effectiveness more quickly as well (case in point: the deodorant). All in all, it's up to you to decide which of the products work well for you, and which ones need to be improved further.

* Prices marked are purchased from Robinson's Supermarket; all other prices are as per website. Human Nature products are also being sold at Beauty Bar outlets and Sesou kiosks. Note that products sold in physical stores have different prices than that in the website (and can be priced cheaper, too).

Comments