Recently, I've been discovering a number of local (i.e. Filipino) independent businesses. Some of them I've discovered online (on Facebook or on Instagram), others in bazaars. I realize how challenging it is for them to compete with the global market--just look at the shops in our malls and you'll see that most of the brands are from foreign companies ("local" businesses are usually re-sellers na lang)--so in my own little way, I would like to help promote their brand by featuring some of my favorite purchases in this blog.
Alas, dear reader, we've come to the end of my #SupportLokalPH series.
I will be starting a new chapter in my life soon (more on that in my future blog posts), and because of this I won't be able to try out locally-made products for some time. It was a good run, I have to say. I really enjoyed discovering indie businesses and trying out items made in the Philippines. I was able to appreciate local craftsmanship a little bit more, and most importantly, realize that our range of products extends beyond exotic handicrafts like batiks and Capiz shell decorations.
For your convenience, here is a list of all my entries under the #SupportLokalPH hashtag:
- Arajera. Trinkets and Silver Linings
- 10 North Creative. Hand made watches inspired by vintage graphics
- Lulu Swing. Transforms classic styles into fresh unique statement pieces
- Alunsina Handbound Books. An indie crafts business that creates & sells hand-bound journals & leather accessories
- Germano's Chilli. The 1st and only chili garlic sauce cooked in Olive Oil to a Perfect Crisp, bringing out its Unique flavor
- Ilog Maria Honeybee Farms. Update: I've been seeing Ilog Maria products being sold in ECHOStore kiosks, in various malls.
- Donardo's Chili Garlic Sauce. Anghang Sarap!
- Vela Manila. Of Tradition and Modernity
- Activista. Stylish, modern, and affordable fitness apparel made in the Philippines
- Exonomad. Durable Carry Solutions
- Common Room. Arts & Crafts Supply Store | A place where makers gather
- Simoy ng Haraya. Pabango | Pambahay | Aromaterapia
- KiN Leather Collection. KiN products are made of genuine leather, locally handcrafted by the the best Filipino artisans (MNL,PH)
- Wanderskye | Bags by Rubbertree. Wanderskye™ Travel Covers Designed by Filipino Artists | Purposeful leather pieces, hand-cut and hand-stitched
- Perfect Mushrooms | Kabutehan. Training and Seminars | Fruiting bags | Growing technical support | Fresh Gourmet Mushrooms | Grower's Kit Mushroom Chili Sauce™
- Zin Manila. Gourmet Finishing Salt
- Costal Bags. Everyday Leather Bags
- Free For Me. Vintage Style Handmade Watches and Fashion Jewelry
- Atsui | Perfectform. ...For the serious athlete and those in between. | 100% local sportswear perfect for any workout!
- Renegade Folk. Everyday leather sandals. Handcrafted in Manila by local artisans
- Happy Skin Cosmetics. Makeup that cares for your skin!
- Little Black Box. The Premier Jewelry Subscription Box Service In The Philippines
- Ibarra Manila. Filipino Time. On Time. Ibarra Time
- Sweet Side Jewelry | Eye For Treasure. Wearable Art | Artisan Fine Jewelry
- Sikat Salted Egg Potato Chips. Freshly Made. This, crispy, and tasty!
- The Leather Company. GENUINE LEATHER 100% HANDMADE
- Sinaya Cup. Sinaya Cup is a brand of menstrual cups and a community of modern active Filipinas
- Pravi. Genuine Leather Accessories Handcrafted in Manila
- Galileo Enoteca Deli. Authentic Italian Restaurant
- NLighten CC Cushion. A product of NWorld. Distributed by Health & Skin Care Plus
- Human ❤ Nature. Pro-Philippines. Pro-Poor. Pro-Environment
Hoping that you can try some of them, or all of them (even better!), to continue spreading the much-needed love for our country and its products (Disclaimer: I wasn't able to verify if all of them are still in business as of today, but I hope that they still are).