May 24, 2017

Glossier: Phase 1 Set + The Super Pack

PSA: Glossier currently ships within the USA and Puerto Rico. There may be longer delivery times when shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico.

One of the joys of living in the States is the ease of online purchase. Most of the online stores I know readily ship to the US, more often than not straight to your door. Postal services are more lax here, too, as they have no issue leaving the packages without getting a signature. Also, if the neighborhood is safe enough, there should be no worry about leaving the package unattended.

Ah, the wonders of the first world.

I've been been eyeing the Glossier brand for a few months now, ever since it was featured in a YouTube video of a beauty vlogger I follow. Since then, I followed their Instagram account and browsed through their online store, looking forward to my move to the US so I can finally purchase my very own Glossier items. My package arrived less than a week from ordering, and I've been using the products for several days now.

First things first, what is Glossier?

Glossier is a skincare and make-up line created by the beauty editors of Into The Gloss, a beauty webzine which has been publishing content since 2010 (tbh I haven't read any of the articles from that website though). The brand focuses on minimalist, utilitarian, and travel-friendly packaging, with products that aim to make the skin look good enough (i.e. hydrated, glowing, and dewy) to not need any more make-up. 

I bought two sets for my first purchase: Phase 1 Set (Milky Jelly Cleanser, Priming Moisturizer, and Coconut Balm Dotcom) and The Super Pack (Super Bounce, Super Pure, and Super Glow).

Each order comes in a pink bubble-wrap pouch (which can also be ordered separately), and a choice of either the Milky Jelly Cleanser or the Priming Moisturizer sample sachet. There are stickers included in the boxes, too, to personalize your bottles and/or tubes of Glossier products. Cute. 



Now, let's move on to my thoughts on the products I bought.

The Phase 1 Set:

The Phase 1 set includes Glossier's top 3 bestselling skincare products; the backbone of your daily skincare routine. This set also costs 10 USD less compared to buying the individual items.

Milky Jelly Cleanser

Glossier claims: The pH-balanced, creamy gel formula is made with a blend of five skin conditioners so your face is left feeling healthy and soft, never tight. Its cleansing power comes from the same gentle cleaning agents found in contact lens solution, so it’s tough on impurities and still safe to use on your eyes. You’ll see.

This cleanser has a milky gel-like consistency, which can be used on a dry face (for make-up removal) or a wet face (for basic facial cleansing).

My feedback: The cleanser really does remove face and eye make-up effectively (granted that I don't really use waterproof mascara, but it does remove washable mascara). It gives a slight sting on the skin and a rather strong rosewater scent, but it doesn't hurt the eyes at all, which is good enough for me. I currently rinse the cleanser away with warm water, but I'm contemplating on using a washcloth once I am able to purchase one for my face.

Priming Moisturizer

Glossier claims: Immediately on application, this plumps skin up with moisture to create cushiony bounce and an even texture, which helps minimize the appearance of pores, minus any heavy blurring ingredients.

This moisturizer has anti-redness complex that aims to sooth and even out skin tone, leaving a clean, dewy, balanced finished.

My feedback: I have oily skin, so I don't really need any extra hydration, but I like that there is no greasy feeling after applying the moisturizer. It does calm down my redness, but I have yet to observe some more whether or not my skin would breakout more or less with this product.

Balm Dotcom

Glossier claims: A hydrating, long-lasting, multipurpose lip and skin salve that’s packed with antioxidants and natural emollients to nourish and repair dry, chafed skin. The dense, waxy texture stays in place to seal in moisture wherever it goes.

This all-purpose skin salve comes with five balm flavors: Original, Rose, Cherry, Mint, and Coconut.

My feedback: I've been reading some negative comments about this product, saying that it is just glorified Vaseline (i.e. petroleum jelly), but I really do think that it's much more than that. The consistency of the salve is richer than petroleum jelly, and the scent adds to the luxury as well. I also find that my lips dry out less when I use this product, compared to when I'm using a lip balm.

The Super Pack:

The Super Pack includes three of Glossier's concentrated serums, which costs 19 USD less compared to buying the individual items. These serums can be layered on top of each other, but can only be used once within the day due to its potency.

Super Bounce

Glossier Claims: Good for skin depleted from hangovers, long layovers, blasting a/c, or high high heat. The smooth, silky texture soaks in without any stickiness or residue, for instantly softer skin.

This concentrated serum aims to bring back skin elasticity for supple softness.

My feedback: I use this serum during the day, since I already have my night cream with me to provide additional hydration as I sleep. However, I can't say that this serum does anything significant to my skin (as I said, my oily skin does not need any extra hydration), but I think that this serum will be useful come wintertime.

Addendum: After further research I've discovered that this is best combined with the Vitamin C serum, which should be applied in the evening.

Super Pure

Glossier claims: It gets troubled skin in check and flushes out impurities, including excess sebum that builds up inside pores. The light, water-gel formula quickly absorbs into skin.

In a poll of existing Super Pure daily users...
_96% saw a reduction in redness within one week or less
_79% said their blemishes were visibly less noticeable

This concentrated serum aims to soothe redness and help calm blemishes.

My feedback: My hormones are still wonky from the jet-lag and the overall uprooting, so my skin is still breaking out in the usual places. Plus, I have been using the serum for less than a month, so I can't really see any visible results just yet. But so far, I don't think that there are any adverse effects on my skin, so I'll keep on using this. I use this serum at night.

Addendum: After​ further research I discovered that Niacinamide shouldn't be mixed with Vitamin C, so I'll be using this in the morning instead.

Super Glow

Glossier claims: Over time, Super Glow evens skin tone, and creates a light-reflective complexion. The water-like texture immediately absorbs into skin without a trace—use all over face, after cleanser, before moisturizer.

This concentrated serum aims to brighten skin and to even skin tone.

My feedback: Of the three concentrated serums, this is the most watery of all--so much so that I am having a hard time not making it drip so much when using the dropper to dispense the product on my face. It really is easily absorbed by the skin, which makes it easy to use in combination with one of the two Supers above.

Addendum: After further research I've discovered that this is best combined with the Hyaluronic acid serum. Both should be applied during the night.

Final thoughts? Early favorites?

For now, I have to say that I really like the Milky Jelly Cleanser. I think that it can easily replace my two-step cleansing routine (i.e. cleansing oil + cleansing foam), especially since the products I use are not available in the US (being from Korean and/or Japanese brands).

I really want to like the Supers, but I need a few more weeks to see if my skin reacts positively to the serums.

Glossier's products are priced more expensive than drugstore brands (and if you convert them to PHP, you will realize how expensive they are), so I don't think that I will be willing to invest on the moisturizer and the balm. There's nothing really special about them, so I'd rather search for cheaper, more practical alternatives online (or in drugstores)--I'm sure there are PLENTY of those out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment