Ipsy July 2017 Glam Bag

PSA: Ipsy currently ships to the U.S. (including its territories, PO Boxes, and APO, DPO, and FPO boxes) via DHL or FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service, and Canada (including its territories and military locations) via Landmark Global.

Alas; the Subscription Box Bug bit again.

It started several moons ago in the Philippines, back when I was a subscriber of the BDJ Box. Every month, I would get a box filled with deluxe-sized beauty/ skincare samples, and even won an extra box on one of their contest giveaways. Sampler subscription boxes like these are based on the preference profile you create on their website, but eventually the samples became repetitive (that and I've hoarded so much product already), so I opted out of the subscription.

I've also tried a one-year subscription on the Little Black Box Ph, a monthly jewelry subscription box where part of their proceeds go to charity. I wasn't able to complete the year, though, as I had to leave for the US. Instead, I requested my remaining boxes to be delivered to a friend to wear on my behalf.

Here in the US, I tried out Blue Apron (thanks to another friend who sent me a free trial), a weekly ingredient-and-meal box service. Instead of creating a preference profile, you get to choose the recipe/s to be sent to you, depending on how many recipes you choose to be sent in a week.

And now, I'm back to trying out beauty subscription boxes again, starting with Michelle Phan's brainchild, Ipsy.


Each month's curation comes with a theme, and for July 2017, Ipsy's theme is "OverEazy," with the ever kawaii Gudetama as this month's mascot.

The "OverEazy" theme features products aimed to give you a natural, effortless look.

A monthly subscription costs 10 USD (+ tax), and contains a mix of deluxe-sized samplers and full-sized products, depending on the beauty profile you enter.

Products come inside a pouch bag, designed to be in line with the month's theme.

And now, onto the products featured in my box:

1. Eau Thermale Avène - Cleanance MAT Mattifying Toner


For my beauty profile, I indicated that I'm concerned with skin redness, wrinkles/ fine lines, oiliness/ large pores, and acne/ blemishes, and Ipsy curated this toner for my box. This French brand toner has no alcohol content, thus gentle on the skin, and has mattifying properties to help combat oiliness and to reduce the appearance of large pores.

Glad to say that this didn't break me out any more than usual, though I don't think it significantly helped reduce the oil on my skin. A good product, but not enough to compel me to replace my current brand.

2.  Ciaté London - Wonderwand Gel-Kohl Hybrid Liner in Black


This full size product is a gel-kohl eyeliner on one end, and a smudge brush on the other end. Because it is a pencil eyeliner, you are able to create defined lines. But at the same time, because of the kohl property, you are able to smoke out the liner with the smudge brush. It's decently long-wearing, but also easily removed by cleansing oils.

 

The only downside of this product is that it is in pencil form; I'm used to using retractable eyeliner pens that don't need sharpening. I had to buy a separate eye pencil sharpener for this one.

3. tarte cosmetics - Amazonian Clay Waterproof Bronzer


Amazonian clay is said to have some skin benefits such as clarifying, brightening, soothing, and anti-ageing, so I guess this bronzer is one that can be used all over the face. The shade isn't too orange-y nor too shimmery, which makes it perfect for achieving the natural, no make-up make-up look.

 

I'm not really a bronzer user, so I have no idea how to use this product the *proper* way. Perhaps I can use this on my eyes to lightly define the crease, or something to that effect.

4. Trifle Cosmetics - Ombré Radiance Blush Palette in Raspberry Ripple

 

I defined my skin tone to be "light," so I guess this was the shade they matched for me. The three colors in the palette are versatile colors; these are actually what I would choose should I buy a blush for myself.

Only downside is, I don't use powder blushes anymore thus lack the proper tools. My first try using the blush was applied using an oval face brush I bought in Japan. The bristles were too dense, which made my application a bit too bright. Totally my mistake, but good to know that the pigmentation of this blush product is good.

5. TONYMOLY - I'm Real Sheet Masks in Green Tea and Lotus


I'm really happy that Ipsy included these sheet masks in my box, because 1) Korean beauty products rock! and 2) I love sheet masks. The Luminating mask contains lotus flower extract for brightening, while the Skin Purifying mask contains green tea extract for detoxifying. These sheet masks are perfect to use while soaking in the bath.

Overall Verdict

To date, I've already used up the toner and the masks, and I've been using the eyeliner often. I'm pretty happy that most of the products included in my July 2017 box are actually useful, and none of them conflict any current product I have. Let's see how long I can go with this one.

Those who are interested in subscribing may use this referral link. Help me earn some points! :)

Comments